PunBB Resource

Your ultimate PunBB resource!

Keywords:

(Extended)

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-10 03:29:42

moleary

Change style - why is this made so difficult for beginners?

Abolutely NO instructions readily available. Surfing turned up these:

"Style Installer" found in PunBB Resources article. Click on it, download the zip file, where? doesn't say, to my desktop? OK! Doesn't do me any good there. Where does it go then? I haven't the slightest. Should be in my admin area but how do I get it there? Haven't the slightest. Is it an "extension"? Some of those in my admin but not this one. A plugin maybe? Are extensions and plugins the same thing? I can install them from my PunBB Repository, how do I get them there? I haven't the slightest.

Found this: Admin plugins "can be installed by simply dropping the plugin script in the plugins/ directory". Where is this directory?? I haven't the slightest.

And best of all:
"Manual installation". Found these beauties - *nix platform, tar package, PunBB root, shell access, cd into PunBB, use the Style installer locally... ??????  NOT going there!

Can anyone explain to a newbie - who really isn't an idiot - how to get the Style Installer functioning? I really want to use this message board with the style that fits my site.  If I can get the Style Installer working, maybe then...

I SO appreciate your help with this.

Signed,
Not an idiot, just impressed with anyone who can do this!

#2 2009-01-10 23:35:47

Scripter
Website

Re: Change style - why is this made so difficult for beginners?

moleary wrote:

Abolutely NO instructions readily available. Surfing turned up these:

"Style Installer" found in PunBB Resources article. Click on it, download the zip file, where? doesn't say, to my desktop? OK! Doesn't do me any good there. Where does it go then? I haven't the slightest. Should be in my admin area but how do I get it there? Haven't the slightest. Is it an "extension"? Some of those in my admin but not this one. A plugin maybe? Are extensions and plugins the same thing? I can install them from my PunBB Repository, how do I get them there? I haven't the slightest.

Found this: Admin plugins "can be installed by simply dropping the plugin script in the plugins/ directory". Where is this directory?? I haven't the slightest.

And best of all:
"Manual installation". Found these beauties - *nix platform, tar package, PunBB root, shell access, cd into PunBB, use the Style installer locally... ??????  NOT going there!

Can anyone explain to a newbie - who really isn't an idiot - how to get the Style Installer functioning? I really want to use this message board with the style that fits my site.  If I can get the Style Installer working, maybe then...

I SO appreciate your help with this.

Signed,
Not an idiot, just impressed with anyone who can do this!

Well, I see your having a ahrd time getting the plugin in the right folder. Once you've installed PunBB you should see folders, open up the folder called plugins drag that file into it.  Go to your website, then click the plugin thingy.

#3 2009-01-11 02:56:20

moleary

Thank you for responding! I'm still lost in your directions, tho.  I'm with HostMonster, in the C-panel went to Simple Scripts, installed PunBB with the one-click installation button. The only folders I have there are My Installs, Learn, and Back To C-panel.
In My Installs I have AdminLogin | Uninstall | Advanced | Find Support.
In Admin I have Index, Unerlist, Rules, Search, Profile, Logout, Administration
I could go thru each of these, but I can tell you here there is no PlugIn tab or folder in any.

Is there someplace that I am supposed to be able to access this PlugIns folder?

#4 2009-01-11 06:41:26

seesaw

First comment: you don't need to install the 'Style Installer' script to install styles. Styles can be installed simply by copying the relevant files into your PunBB forum's filesystem in the right place. They then become instantly available and you can choose which one to use from within PunBB.

2nd comment: your PunBB forum lives in a set of files that live on a Hostmonster webserver. So you will need to learn how to see the files that are in your area of your webserver, and ultimately get files into that area too. You can do this via some areas of cPanel like the File Manager (or whatever it is called in cPanel) or via things like FTP.

If you are unfamiliar with either managing files via cPanel or with using FTP then I really do suggest that you ask your host for further help in installing PunBB, because there is a whole lot of learning you need to do, and here is not a good place to pass on all the necessary info you will need about using cPanel, FTP, file system permissions etc.

#5 2009-01-11 16:06:11

moleary

Thank you! I am very familiar with File Manager and FTP. Copying directly to File Manager was the very first thing I tried. After downloading the chosen style - 3rxnet - and uploading, I placed all the files in Style, as that is where I found the default Oxygen. Files are:
3rxnet.css
3rxnet_cs.css
bg_button.gif
cell.gif

Still, in Admin Settings there is only the option of Oxygen in the drop-down box. From your directions I'm thinking either I have not place all the files in their proper place or I need to change the coding in one or more files? If this is correct, can you tell me what the next step is to make the new style an option in Admin?

Thanks again!

#6 2009-01-11 17:07:12

Scripter
Website

moleary wrote:

Thank you! I am very familiar with File Manager and FTP. Copying directly to File Manager was the very first thing I tried. After downloading the chosen style - 3rxnet - and uploading, I placed all the files in Style, as that is where I found the default Oxygen. Files are:
3rxnet.css
3rxnet_cs.css
bg_button.gif
cell.gif

Still, in Admin Settings there is only the option of Oxygen in the drop-down box. From your directions I'm thinking either I have not place all the files in their proper place or I need to change the coding in one or more files? If this is correct, can you tell me what the next step is to make the new style an option in Admin?

Thanks again!

Place 3rxnet.css where Oxygen.css is, place 3rxnet_cs.css in the import folder is and place bg_button.gif and cell.gif in the img folder.

#7 2009-01-11 23:59:02

moleary

Now these I can do! Please stay with me just a bit more?  I wonder about the "import" folder, do not have one called that in my file system.  Do you mean Extensions? Or pun_repository by any chance? (Using version 1.3.2)

Thanks! I'm getting close, I can feel it !!

#8 2009-03-23 23:19:56

downliner
Website

The 3rxnet skin is for Punbb 1.2 and will not work on any version of Punbb 1.3.

There are only a handful of styles available for PunBB 1.3 and they can't be found on Punres (which primarily deals with 1.2). You're best option is to look through the 1.3 Additions forum on the main PunBB.org website.

A handful of 1.3 styles I've created can be found here, here and here smile

Board footer

Based on PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson

© Copyright 2004–2006 Kristoffer Jansson

User contributed files are property of their respective owners.