PunBB Resource

Your ultimate PunBB resource!

Keywords:

(Extended)

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 22:09:31

autotech

Help...Two mods counteracting each other.

On 1.2.21, I installed the Sub Forum Mod first, then the Reputation Mod, and both worked fine. Then I began installing the RSS mod for PunBB and discovered that the files to be replaced in viewtopic.php are the same modified files I installed for the Sub Forum Mod. I tried playing with the code but can't get it to work correctly. By not making the changes in viewtopic.php I have rss feeds on categories and forums, but nothing on topics. Is there a fix for this? Could someone make the corrections if I show you the both codes? My next step is installing the url rewrite mod, the Google sitemap mod and I believe there's a bridge mod for rewrite and rss. Will I have similar issues with these?

#2 2008-12-19 16:57:29

autotech

Re: Help...Two mods counteracting each other.

No response...so hopefully this will make it easier:

The rss feed is supposed to go at the end of the breadcrumb when you’re inside a topic (don’t know why they couldn’t use the rss image like categories and forums?).

How do I put this: (<a href="rss.php?tid=<?php echo $id ?>">RSS Feed</a>)

Into this, correctly?: <div class="linkst">
    <div class="inbox">
        <p class="pagelink conl"><?php echo $paging_links ?></p>
        <p class="postlink conr"><?php echo $post_link ?></p>
<?php

if($cur_topic['parent_forum'])
    echo "\t\t".'<ul><li><a href="index.php">'.$lang_common['Index'].'</a>&nbsp;</li><li>&raquo;&nbsp;<a href="viewforum.php?id='.$cur_topic['parent_forum_id'].'">'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['parent_forum']).'</a>&nbsp;</li><li>&raquo;&nbsp;<a href="viewforum.php?id='.$cur_topic['forum_id'].'">'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['forum_name']).'</a>&nbsp;</li><li>&raquo;&nbsp;'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']).'</li></ul>';
else
    echo "\t\t".'<ul><li><a href="index.php">'.$lang_common['Index'].'</a></li><li>&nbsp;&raquo;&nbsp;<a href="viewforum.php?id='.$cur_topic['forum_id'].'">'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['forum_name']).'</a></li><li>&nbsp;&raquo;&nbsp;'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']).'</li></ul>';

?>

<div class="clearer"></div>
    </div>
</div>

I'm no coder and it either won't line up at the end of the breadcrumb or I get an error, no matter what I try.

Thanks.

Last edited by autotech (2008-12-19 16:58:11)

#3 2008-12-20 01:49:51

twohawks

I'm going to take a look at it now.... maybe its something simple...

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#4 2008-12-20 01:57:08

twohawks

Did you try inserting this...

Code:

<li>&raquo;&nbsp;'.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']).'</li><li>&raquo;&nbsp;<a href="rss.php?tid=<?php echo $id ?>">RSS Feed</a>&nbsp;</li>

inbetween these codes in your if statement?

Code:

</li></ul>

Is this what you are looking for?

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#5 2008-12-20 15:12:58

autotech

Hey twohawks,

No, that one didn't work. However, I found a better way by puttting it on the title bar with an icon. Where I think it should have been in the first place.

Are you familiar with the comments link on the rss page. It points to a bad/old page. I don't think the comments are necesary, so removing the links would be just as good a fix.

The big question right now is adding additional mods which overwrite more code which was part of previous mods. I installed sub forums, reputation and rss. Installing url rewrite replaces a whole bunch of big code from other mods, mostly sub forums. What's the trick? Is there a crossover to tell you what code goes where, when you're using particular modes together, or is it just over my head and a custom job for a real coder.

If so, is there some one who would like to install the last couple of mods for me, for a fee?

#6 2008-12-20 16:03:19

autotech

Here's another issue. I installed Sub Form Mod version:  1.0.9.3 and I'm having a problem not displaying "Topics" on SubForum Header which was supposed to have been fixed in version 1.0.1:

Fixed by NeoTall (Rus):
##                     in version 1.0.4
##                      - Fixed items in combobox "Select where to search"
##                     in version 1.0.3
##                      - Fixed search in SubForum when using "Non-MultiByted" language
##                     in version 1.0.2
##                      - Correctly displaying Last Post, Last Poster and Last Posted Time
##                      - Correctly displaying Total Topics and Total Posts
##                     in version 1.0.1
##                      - Correctly creating Last Post link
##                      - Correctly displaying word "Topics" on SubForum header

Any ideas?

#7 2008-12-21 11:00:27

twohawks

HI autotech,

autotech wrote:

Are you familiar with the comments link on the rss page. It points to a bad/old page. I don't think the comments are necesary, so removing the links would be just as good a fix.

Sorry, I am not up on that feature/mod at all, I only checked out the injection for the l, as that looked pretty basic and straightforward to attempt a quick assist with.

autotech wrote:

The big question right now is adding additional mods which overwrite more code which was part of previous mods.

Considering your last post, I would recommend 2 things...

1) Installing mod 1.9.2 first, not 1.9.3 - wait on that one 'till you are satisfied 1.9.2 is doing the basic thing you want/need.  1.9.2 is solid, 1.9.3 adds a special behavior - you may not want that ;^)

THEN

2) Per question re "is there some trick"... well, yes there is...

What I do when I install a mod, besides the preliminary backing up (!!always!!), plus deploying and testing locally or in a separate copy-installation ( ;^)
...is...
Because I may have have several mods installed in a deployment, the problem is when different mods wish to replace the same query!!!  You cannot just go replacing stuff just because the instructions say to do so!!
**Usually all someone is trying to do is inject a parameter into a SELECT clause, and/or add or edit a JOIN clause with that... kinds of things.
When done correctly this actually rarely results in a conflict or failure, but blind replacing often leads to problems.

SO, whenever I process a mod, I never replace a query (or any code) - ever!  I first run a compare on the proposed replacement (each in turn) in order to determine what the author is exactly intending!!  Then, I only make the specific edits that are needed to the queries (and other code) being addressed.  *I test as I go along in order to be able to see how things may be functioning (or breaking!)...

It can make applying a mod a lot more work, and sometimes may not be necessary, but it sounds as if maybe this is what you are running into. 
BTW, version 1.3 is designed to get around this ;^), but without the needed extensions being yet built one would need to write your own or stay with 1.2 for now basicly.

I recommend you roll back to what is/was working prior to the subforum mod addition - and make sure its functioning solidly before modding it further.
Then back it up, then begin  applying the new mod step by step, being sure to only edit the queries as you go - don't replace anything.  If you test each page you are editing after applying each edit you will be sure to spot any potential mistakes or 'interesting behaviors' when its easy to nip them early. 

Also, you may be able to determine right away (before presuming to install the whole mod and without testing along the way) if a certian behavior is being suddenly introduced that you may wish to augment or question,
...i.e, if you understand, or begin catching on, as to how the code is working, or which piece is causing a 'certain situation', then you will be well armed for asking specific questions in the mod's forum for help with any adjustments you may need to sort out.

Those are my best 'ideas' for you at this point.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#8 2008-12-21 16:06:30

autotech

Hi twohawks,

I'm learning as I go, and everything you said makes perfect sense.

After a lot of trial and error I have the subforum, reputation and rss mods installed and working correctly. I still want to install the url rewite, sitemap and I believe there are 2 bridge files to make things work together.

Would you be interested in doing these final installations for a fee?

It looks like there are a lot of contradictions installing the rewrite over subforums. I'm sure I could do it, eventually, over a long period of time, but I'd rather devote my time to other aspects of site construction right now.

I can send you all the files and database.

Let me know.

#9 2008-12-22 09:26:57

twohawks

I'd love to help you, auto, not to mention make a few bones, but I have a bit of trepidation with both those mods...

I have not read one account of a bug-free or reliable pun url rewrite deployment (for 1.2.x)... and considering this is a finicky aspect of messing with ones forum, I would not want to take that on for something that wasn't my own - too much risk I think.  In fact, I don't even think its really advisable considering all the expressed uncertainties - have you really looked into it, I mean what's been done or made available??  I have seen no solid/consistent resolution for this regarding versions 1.2.x.  I mean, maybe I am wrong ...???...but...

And the sitemap doesn't seem to have all that much discussion going on about it either, although it appears that installing it by itself is a no-brainer, and Smartys wrote it so I would trust that - but by itself.

Oh, and the bridge files... seems there's no discussion on that, only the original post by someone who has a total of one post and a demo link to errror 404 - not a good sign.

Since you now feel you have a solid base with your other mods in place, if I were you I'd take this to one of the rewrite discussions and see if you can hook up with someone with some direct experience with this sort of mod.  May be a better chance of finding 'a right person' who would implement it for you, or convince you not to go there (?). 

I would also go poke around at the punbb/fluxbb forums.  There is a user at puninformer who is said to be helping a lot of folks with mods, maybe could help?

Sorry I could not offer my help coding for you in this.  Good luck!

Last edited by twohawks (2008-12-22 09:28:15)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#10 2009-01-22 00:15:44

autotech

Hey twohawks,

Been a while.

I got one for you. I installed the collapsable categories mod. I think it's great, almost an extra sub forum. Anyway, on initial page startup the categories are all open. How do I make them all collapsed on startup? Otherwise the page will be a mile long.

Hope all is well.

autotech

#11 2009-01-23 02:18:29

MattF

Either save the category states when you are browsing as a guest or stop deleting your cookies on browser shutdown. I would say one of those is your answer.

Last edited by MattF (2009-01-23 02:18:46)

#12 2009-01-23 03:20:50

autotech

The guy that wrote the mod (Gizzmo) helped me out.

To have the categories start off expanded, instead of collapsed. In step 9 of the collapsible categories version 1.0 replace:

if (strstr($cat_ids, $cat_count.',')){

with this:

if (!strstr($cat_ids, $cat_count.',')){

#13 2009-01-23 04:49:03

twohawks

Cool, That one is good to know ;^)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

Board footer

Based on PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson

© Copyright 2004–2006 Kristoffer Jansson

User contributed files are property of their respective owners.