Your ultimate PunBB resource!

Keywords:

(Extended)

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-15 19:47:13

kikloo

Private threads

Hi,

I am looking for a mod which makes it so that user who created the thread can only see it. No other user should be able to see it.

So If i created this thread then only I could be able to see it and mods and admins also. Any other user should not see this thread.

Thanks.

#2 2008-12-21 20:42:01

twohawks

Re: Private threads

Anyone every do anything like this?

We use subforum mod.
1. The Admin creates a Parent forum called "Bee Company" to which all users at levels 'A', 'B' and/or 'C' have read access.
2. When you go into Bee Company Forum, there is the main/parent Forum, and then there are subforums listed for Bee Company group activities.  Other Users may read and watch, but only Bee Company members may post and interact - these subforums are for them.
3. We wish to have the subforums listed on the index, which requires giving read access to the main forum for groups A,B, & C.
**4. The Admin wishes to create a Private Topic for her eyes only in the Parent Forum where she can make notes on Bee Company individual and group progress taking place in the subforums.  Because the Parent Forum is Readable for the allowed groups, she needs to be able to create a Topic and Tag it as 'Private'.

Hope this makes sense.  What it would require is the ability to check off a topic as 'Private', similarly as you would as 'Sticky'.

This would be a typical tool for forums for schools that almost any teacher would find useful.
Your comments would be most welcome.

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#3 2009-01-01 19:38:33

MattF

twohawks wrote:

Anyone every do anything like this?

Yup. I added an extra option in the forums table, (I believe), to assign a forum as a hidden forum. If it's assigned as such, only the original author, admins and mods can access the threads within that forum.

#4 2009-01-01 20:26:41

Cyclone103
Website

How did you do that? I would like to add this feature to my forum.

#5 2009-01-02 04:59:01

MattF

Cyclone103 wrote:

How did you do that? I would like to add this feature to my forum.

How are you at coding? I can post up my equivalent of index.php, but you will need to work back from that and extract what you need. It is a highly modified file from standard, btw. smile

#6 2009-01-02 19:38:38

Cyclone103
Website

Erm.......with PHP, pretty mediocre.

I can add in mods fairly easily however. If you could just tell me what I would have to do, or maybe post it as a mod itself (you should, sounds useful), I can add it in.

#7 2009-01-05 04:04:35

twohawks

Hey Matt... thanks for posting. 

MattF wrote:

Yup. I added an extra option in the forums table, (I believe), to assign a forum as a hidden forum. If it's assigned as such, only the original author, admins and mods can access the threads within that forum.

So you mean the forum "thread" itself (its linked title) is visible to the groups assigned to it, but the enclosed "topics" are only visible to author/admins/mods (assigned as such)?

What doesn't make sense to me is offering 'equiv of index.php' when it seems the mod would have to (also) apply to viewforum.php (and possibly viewtopic.php)?...
Just to be clear here, I am not talking about a hidden forum thread, I am talking about hidden topic(s) within a forum (sounds like you got it, but I'm just being sure).

(php, database, disassembly - no problem here...)
If the example in your 'equiv index.php' contains what's essentially needed, along with a clearer definition of the relevant column addition spec for the table if you can swing it, I would be interested in checking out your code and doing the work of 'reverse-eng'ing' it out, testing and documenting it.  Then when its good to go I could post it here for others. 

Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#8 2009-01-05 07:40:34

MattF

twohawks wrote:

Hey Matt... thanks for posting.

You're welcome. big_smile

twohawks wrote:

MattF wrote:

So you mean the forum "thread" itself (its linked title) is visible to the groups assigned to it, but the enclosed "topics" are only visible to author/admins/mods (assigned as such)?

The forum and any sticky threads are viewable by anyone, but the topics, (including the index of the topics), within are only viewable by the topic O.P, mods and admins. There is a forum here that illustrates the operation:

http://forums.bauchan.org/4x4/forums.php

The 'Bug Reports' forum. That has several topics in it. You'll probably get a better idea of how it looks in operation if you have a peek at that. smile

twohawks wrote:

What doesn't make sense to me is offering 'equiv of index.php' when it seems the mod would have to (also) apply to viewforum.php (and possibly viewtopic.php)?...
Just to be clear here, I am not talking about a hidden forum thread, I am talking about hidden topic(s) within a forum (sounds like you got it, but I'm just being sure).

Unless I've misinterpreted you, that's correct. smile With regards to why, that single file will give enough info to be able to port the changes to any other files which require modifying. You need to add the subscribe part to that list as well. Besides, I'm not masochistic enough to force the backporting upon myself yet. big_smile

twohawks wrote:

(php, database, disassembly - no problem here...)
If the example in your 'equiv index.php' contains what's essentially needed, along with a clearer definition of the relevant column addition spec for the table if you can swing it, I would be interested in checking out your code and doing the work of 'reverse-eng'ing' it out, testing and documenting it.  Then when its good to go I could post it here for others.

This is the file: http://outgoing.bauchan.org/unix/forums.txt

Code:

$bbx_config['o_hidden_topic_forums'] and $hidden_forums

are the two parts of note. The o_hidden_topic_forums is actually, (I was incorrect in my first post), a comma separated list of forum id's stored in the config table, i.e: 1,2,3,4. That way it can be used directly in a DB query, (a query doing such is within that file), and you'll note at the top of the file that the string is exploded to create an array, (hidden_forums), which is used for checking specific forum id's. All the info and examples you need are within that file. I hope you find it useful. smile Btw, when I said it was a modfied file, I wasn't joking. big_smile

#9 2009-01-05 09:19:40

MattF

You need to add post.php and extern.php to that list of files too. smile

#10 2009-01-05 23:33:23

Cyclone103
Website

Okay, so EXACTLY what part of your code pertains to hidden forums, it is a bit difficult to tell, especially with all of your mods.

#11 2009-01-06 00:16:24

MattF

Cyclone103 wrote:

Okay, so EXACTLY what part of your code pertains to hidden forums, it is a bit difficult to tell, especially with all of your mods.

Those parts I mentioned above. big_smile If you wait for Twohawks to reply, hopefully he may be willing to take the mod on and backport those changes into a full blown mod for a standard Pun/Flux installation. smile

#12 2009-01-06 01:33:10

Cyclone103
Website

Erm, I am sorry, I am still having difficulty with understanding your above post.......

I REALLY hope he makes that into a mod.

I would use it as a sorta support desk type thing. Any way you could get the posts within the category to organize themselves by importance? (i.e. "High Importance Support Ticket")

#13 2009-01-06 02:32:37

MattF

Cyclone103 wrote:

Erm, I am sorry, I am still having difficulty with understanding your above post.......

That's why I originally enquired regarding your coding level. big_smile I know the code is somewhat confusing compared to the standard Pun code.

Cyclone103 wrote:

I would use it as a sorta support desk type thing. Any way you could get the posts within the category to organize themselves by importance? (i.e. "High Importance Support Ticket")

Should be doable. By what method would priority be assigned though?

#14 2009-01-06 22:35:56

Cyclone103
Website

I am more used to AS2 and VBscript than PHP, so I have almost no clue what I am doing.

I am, however, great at following directions, and I can install most mods successfully, and I hope to add yours to my forum.

The best method would be, on the page to create a new topic (post.php?), if it is a "support" or "hidden" forum, you can choose via combobox or maybe radio buttons the level of importance, the levels of which could possibly be ascertained from an admin plugin config file.

The way it would work: (whole thing, if possible, this would be my ideal support forum mod)

Admin can choose to enable or disable the mod. Admin can change the levels of importance that the user can select (infinite number of options if possible). Admin can also change which usergroups can view these forums. User can make a thread in the forum, which the admin can decide to make a hidden forum or not. The user could also choose to make the thread visible to the public as a public support ticket or private, only visible to the usergroups that the admin chose previously.

Now that the ticket (thread) has been created, inside the forum, the threads of highest importance are at the top, and then go downwards towards the closed tickets, which would be as simple as closing the thread.

I understand this would be very difficult to make, and probably unlikely that anyone will ever make it, so at the very least a "hidden" forum would suffice, and just have it drop closed threads to the bottom. That way, if a thread is open, it still needs to be dealt with.

#15 2009-01-07 04:32:11

twohawks

@Matt:  This is great...  it appears we read one another, you answered all my questions.  Because of my 'real-life' workload probably take me a week or two to 'backport' this. Heavily modded is no problem, I have good professional (enough) analysis tools, it will be easy to target what's relevant.
Thanks for mentioning the other files I should be mindful of ;^)

@Cyclone:  Please be mindful that Matt said he was willing to share, but for whatever reason doesn't appear to be up to backporting his mod, which he would have to spend time doing in order to begin giving you instructions (and possibly lessons) for doing this, instructions and lessons being additional time as well! I guess you are going to have to be patient my friend.   

Hmmm, I read your 'support ticket' wish and I can see how MattF's  could well apply... with maybe only a little bit more modding for what you are speaking to (most of which is there already).  It wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for a real support ticket mod, but it may be enough for a simplistic one.

I want to see how the basic 'private thread' thing pans out first.  Then I would be willing to look into the support ticket thing if it seems reasonable and not too much extra time.

Cheers!

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#16 2009-01-07 13:43:40

MattF

twohawks wrote:

@Matt:  This is great...  it appears we read one another, you answered all my questions.  Because of my 'real-life' workload probably take me a week or two to 'backport' this. Heavily modded is no problem, I have good professional (enough) analysis tools, it will be easy to target what's relevant.
Thanks for mentioning the other files I should be mindful of ;^)

You're welcome. Glad you're willing to take it on. big_smile If you need any of the other files, let me know and I'll get those up for you too. smile

twohawks wrote:

Hmmm, I read your 'support ticket' wish and I can see how MattF's  could well apply... with maybe only a little bit more modding for what you are speaking to (most of which is there already).  It wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for a real support ticket mod, but it may be enough for a simplistic one.

I want to see how the basic 'private thread' thing pans out first.  Then I would be willing to look into the support ticket thing if it seems reasonable and not too much extra time.

Using the existing sticky and closed topics setup might be the easiest option for something like that. When a topic is closed it's completed, and then alter the sticky option so that you can allow a number to entered rather than just toggling it on/off with 1/0. The higher the number entered, the higher the precedence in the view ordering. Closed topics then drop down to the bottom of the list, so that only stuck topics appear at the top of the list, in the order of priority.

Edit: In fact, if it's of any use, I'll try and have a look at implementing that bit when I have chance.

Last edited by MattF (2009-01-07 13:47:03)

#17 2009-01-07 21:46:50

Cyclone103
Website

Really? Cool!

By the way, there is absolutely no rush on either of these features. I have at least a year before I actually REALLY need it!

#18 2009-01-26 09:20:47

twohawks

Just checking in... having every intention of doing something with this soon ...I need to let it be known I am still a bit far back from being able to work on this.  Paid work comes first, and free time is scant right now. 

Just didn't want anyone to be hanging on without any word.  When I am getting ready to saddle up with this I will post back.
Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#19 2009-01-26 19:21:49

Cyclone103
Website

Alright, cool!

Just to let you all know, my forums are at www.sagamountain.com/forums and they are for my MMO, so we really do need this. If you sign up there, you could be a mod if you like!

We need this feature badly, as with any alpha, my game is gonna be pretty buggy at first, so we need both a glitch report feature and a user report feature.

Last edited by Cyclone103 (2009-01-26 19:25:04)

Board footer

Based on PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson

© Copyright 2004–2006 Kristoffer Jansson

User contributed files are property of their respective owners.