PunBB Resource

Your ultimate PunBB resource!

Keywords:

(Extended)

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-08 23:41:23

twohawks

Close/Lock Forum + Close/Lock Category Read-Only

I am working on an Archive project (see here: http://www.punres.net/viewtopic.php?id=2895 )
and I since I have not found anything that will easily/globally set a forum, or group of forums in a category, to read only I am thinking of creating a mod for this...

I am looking for feedback, insight, direction, whatever may be helpful toward doing maybe something like, well, let  me excerpt the problem/solution discussion I am prompting from the above topic....

<edited>
Set A Forum to Read-Only 'Tool': I am not sure how to best globally do this.
- I see that one can uncheck all the user groups' post permissions (tedious, and doesn't take into account after new ones are added in the main bbs, when you want to, say, 'restore' a forum for active posting, that you have to go back and recheck post permissions ...and not only for pre-existing ones, but also for ones that were added later as well..., so it seems that this won't really work effectively by itself).
- I see you can edit each forum's list of group permissions, turning off post perms, but this also doesn't take into account similar new groups issues as mentioned above, and so again it seems this is not an efficient approach either.
---Either way the admin is facing a potentially heckova lot of, and ever growing, box checking!
Necessary?

- In lieu of other suggestions just now, my thoughts wander to this idea:
    1> Add a column in the forums table labelled 'read_only', and then
         add a checkbox in the forum's admin panel that can simply be checked off for toggling the value (0/1 = off/on kind of thing), and then
         -add/edit code in the relevant php files' query locations that watches for this value and takes authority for turning off postability (any tips on which files/where this needs to happen, or how, would be appreciated)
    2> Also Add a read_only column in the categories table and then
         add a checkbox in the categories admin panel that can simply be checked off, and
         set a query that then sets all child forum's read_only attribute accordingly. 
    3> Need to think through some logic that handles a third state where not all forums in a category are set the same...       

...Kind of thing?  What do you all think about this?  Please share your thoughts and insights about this.
Cheers,

Last edited by twohawks (2007-02-09 01:49:40)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#2 2007-02-08 23:55:02

guardian34

Re: Close/Lock Forum + Close/Lock Category Read-Only

twohawks wrote:

- I see you can edit each forum's list of group permissions, turning off post perms, but this also doesn't take into account additions of new groups, so again it seems this is not an efficient approach.

If you change these permissions for a group, and then base your new groups off of that (earlier) one, then those permissions will already be set.

#3 2007-02-09 00:32:34

twohawks

Hmm, Okay, guardian, thank you for pointing that out. That certainly would address that one aspect, i.e., of adding new member groups.

Unfortunately it still doesn't address the overall problem and pressure for the admins in some of our situations.... if you have a lot of groups and you want to manage this type of forums/categories 'closure' (read-only control), it quickly becomes unacceptably tedious to manage.  Recently..., having a read_only switch could have left all the user perms settings the way they were, globally rendered a long list of forums as read_only for the time being, and when the admin wants to re-instate the permissions in those forums for posting again (i.e, re-activating a program those forums are supporting for the students) then all she would have to do is "hit the switch" in manner of speaking, as opposed to painstakingly going through each and every group again and clicking all those boxes (endless boxes!!), and then also for new members/groups that will be added in the meantime!

One of the problems this need stems from is the requirement, in a couple of bbses, for creating a special group for each individual (students who sign up) in order to be able to control unique access to a particular forum workspace for each one, while maintaining unique collective areas as well. 
   Creating a group for each user was the only way we could accomplish what we needed using punbb.  So we necessarily have a radically large number of groups (ever growing) in these types of environments... thus creating a lot of administrative chaos (pressure) whether that's in user group management OR in forums management areas.

True multiple group assignment capability would certainly be helpful (and in a big way!), but it still wouldn't facilitate alleviating the need to go and reset group or forum perms, each individually, for a simple global read-only 'lock' if you will, as things constantly change.

Thanks for your input.  If more clarity is needed (anyone) I would be happy to post an example scenario (paint the picture better).

Cheers,

Last edited by twohawks (2007-02-09 01:52:49)

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#4 2007-02-17 08:40:32

eiger

This might not be related: When you disallow guests from reading forums - the forums disappear from the index page. Is it possble (or does it already exist?) for guests to see all the forums/topics as normal but they are unable to open any of them to read?
I just think if guests see an empty forum index page they could be turned off.

#5 2007-02-19 19:32:48

twohawks

I think someone would have to recode viewtopic.php to achieve this.

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

#6 2007-02-22 02:34:53

C64

Hello, fellows!
This beeing my first post here and with the possibility to make fool out of myself but.. i'd like something similar. Mainly to restrict "guests" so they won't be able to view users profiles. Also to restrict them from posting to the board (they should still be able to view/browse it) ie they'll have to register to post.
I'm sorry if this feature already exist, but i've only delt with PunBB for a couple of hours.

cheers,
C64

#7 2007-02-22 02:40:01

guardian34

C64 wrote:

Also to restrict them from posting to the board (they should still be able to view/browse it) ie they'll have to register to post.

Check out user groups in the admin area.

C64 wrote:

Mainly to restrict "guests" so they won't be able to view users profiles.

In profile.php, find…

Code:

if ($pun_user['g_read_board'] == '0' && ($action != 'change_pass' || !isset($_GET['key'])))
    message($lang_common['No view']);

…after, add:

Code:

if ($pun_user['is_guest'])
    message($lang_common['No permission']);

#8 2007-02-22 16:13:07

C64

Brilliant..thanks!

#9 2008-03-19 11:28:02

steve51184

guardian34 wrote:

C64 wrote:

Also to restrict them from posting to the board (they should still be able to view/browse it) ie they'll have to register to post.

Check out user groups in the admin area.

C64 wrote:

Mainly to restrict "guests" so they won't be able to view users profiles.

In profile.php, find…

Code:

if ($pun_user['g_read_board'] == '0' && ($action != 'change_pass' || !isset($_GET['key'])))
    message($lang_common['No view']);

…after, add:

Code:

if ($pun_user['is_guest'])
    message($lang_common['No permission']);

i tried this mod to stopping guests viewing profiles but now no one can view them?

Last edited by steve51184 (2008-03-19 11:29:07)

Board footer

Based on PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson

© Copyright 2004–2006 Kristoffer Jansson

User contributed files are property of their respective owners.